Your curiosity and sense of adventure, an open mind, and enough memory cards for the camera! As a general guide, comfortable and casual clothing that you can wash and wear is recommended while on safari. Muted colors are best for game viewing. Game drives are generally conducted in the early morning and the late afternoon, which can be cold, especially in winter. The temperature often warms up during the day, so it is best to dress in layers. Casual, comfortable clothing is suitable throughout the year. Due to the high altitude on the rim of Ngorongoro, it can be cold at night (even in summer) therefore it is very important to pack warm clothing for the nights.
The most practical items to pack for your East Africa safari are:
- Clothes in khaki, green, beige and neutral colours
- Long-sleeved shirts that offer protection from the sun and mosquitoes
- Shorts or a light skirt
- Jeans or safari trousers for evenings and cooler days
- Jackets and sweaters for early morning and late afternoon game drives
- A lightweight waterproof jacket in case of rain
- Swim and beachwear
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Sunscreen, sunglasses, a hat, insect repellent, moisturiser and lip salve
- Binoculars and camera equipment
- Thermal underwear, light layers, sweater, warm jacket, good socks and sturdy, comfortable walking boots for climbing Mount Kilimanjaro
The luggage allowance on small flights is usually limited to a maximum of 15 kg (33 lbs), which includes hand luggage, so please bear this in mind when packing. Most lodges and camps provide a same-day laundry service for your clothes.